Wednesday, March 21, 2012

2 Awesome Stories Directly Related to Spin Class

I posted on my wall (at MFP) this afternoon, asking if my friends thought it was a good idea to do a spin class directly following strength training. I got a lot of resounding YES votes, so I went home, threw gym clothes on, and hightailed it to the gym in order to have the time to do both.

STORY #1

The 5:30 spin class finished, and all of us in the 6:30 came in and staked claim on our bikes while the earlier class wiped them down. My favorite bike had been used by a woman who is in my Saturday spin class, and we got to talking. I wanted to make sure she wasn't doing both classes, and that it was okay to take her bike.

Her: "Nope, not doing 2 tonight, but I have before!

Me: "Wow! I don't think I could do that. I can do 3 a week, but not 2 back to back."

Her: "Sure you can! I've seen you ride, you're really good!"

Wow - that was not the reply I was expecting. Honestly, I was completely floored, and very flattered. We talked for a few more minutes about biking and spin class with our favorite instructors. By the time we said "Bye, see you Saturday!" she had me convinved not only to seriously consider buying a bike, but to do both Saturday classes. I don't know if she knows that she did those things - but she really challenged me.

As soon as class was over I went to the desk and signed up for the 9:00 class on Saturday in addition to the 10:00 that I was already signed up for.


STORY #2

I'm not going to lie. Part of the reason I decided to do both strength and cardio tonight was so that I'd have more exercise calories. I very well may have skipped the gym but the thought of a Frosty and french fries kept me from being a lazy bum tonight. I really, really wanted a Frosty and french fries - even the smallest size of both.

But, by the time I had finished my hour and a half long workout... I felt completely exhausted... and thoroughly ROCK STAR AWESOME. And I couldn't stomach the thought of feeding myself ice cream and french fries. The thought of it made me sick. Pretty amazing, right?

So I came home, fixed myself a giant bowl of 2 eggs and 2 egg whites with salsa and fresh goat cheese, and a normal sized bowl of cereal. Later I'll have a fruit smoothie. I think my body will appreciate all of this much more than fast food.
Not saying I won't have fast food in the future, because of COURSE I will.

But not tonight.

3 comments:

  1. oh my gosh I am SUPER PROUD of you not going for the fast food!! SUPER proud! Also, I agree with your new friend--you should get a bike :) One that you can ride around the neighborhood ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tried spinning. I'm always intimidated by the regs I saw at the gym when I was a member. I love normal bike rides and might just give spinning a try when I rejoin the "real" gym vs my clubhouse gym :)

    Keep up the good work Kmae!

    ReplyDelete