Sunday, January 23, 2011

doing something constructive

I am an emotional eater.

When I got home from church at 1 this afternoon, I was ready to eat. Anything. But I wasn't in particularly hungry - which of course has never stopped me in the past.

I was upset. I was working on processing my thoughts about the service this morning and how scarily it spoke directly to me at this point in my life. Normally, I would have raided the kitchen, felt guilty, and proceeded to have a terrible day.

But today, I started something different. The emotions that I was struggling with after church had nothing to do with food. They had everything to do with my spiritual growth. So instead of sitting down in front of 3 bowls of frosted flakes, I sat down in front my computer with my journal and my Bible right next to me.

And I started a new blog. I spent 2 hours (no joke!) writing my first post. It was really hard, processing those emotions, and I thought about quitting several times. But I got it all out, and I honest to goodness feel far better now. I am still emotional - which is okay, I am still processing. But I do not feel guilty, bloated, or sick. I do not feel like I ruined my day. I am actually feeling just a little healthier.

My relationship with God is a big part of my life, as is my participation in my church community. I know I don't talk about it much here, as it doesn't always play a big role in the "weight loss" part of my life. Today it kind of intersected though, and I am pleased with the resulting new blog.

If you are at all interested, feel free to check out Getting Wrecked. Follow if you dare - it will include a lot of emotions, and working through whatever I am learning about at services on Sundays and Wednesdays. I'd love to have any of you along on the journey!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you reached a tipping point. I think that is totally cool, because it seems with weight loss, it is almost never completely about 'just food', as all our emotions tie in together and are often manifested with food stuffing. So good for you! ANI insight is good insight!!!


    Polar's Mom
    www.polarspage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete