Thursday, November 18, 2010

Mini Quiches


Ingredients
-8 ounces turkey breakfast sausage, removed from casing and crumbled into small pieces
-1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
-8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
-1/4 cup sliced scallions
-1/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
-1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
-5 eggs
-3 egg whites
-1 cup 1% milk

Preparation
Position rack in center of oven; preheat to 325°F. Coat a nonstick muffin tin generously with cooking spray.


Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook until golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl to cool. Add oil to the pan. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer mushrooms to the bowl with the sausage. Let cool for 5 minutes. Stir in scallions, cheese and pepper.


Whisk eggs, egg whites and milk in a medium bowl. Divide the egg mixture evenly among the prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle a heaping tablespoon of the sausage mixture into each cup.
Bake until the tops are just beginning to brown, 25 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Place a rack on top of the pan, flip it over and turn the quiches out onto the rack. Turn upright and let cool completely.


Here is the link for the original recipe, posted above. Made as the recipe suggests, they are 90 calories per quiche.


___________________________________________


Now that that is out of the way, here is what I did differently!


1. I only used 1/2 cup milk instead of 1 cup. They turned out perfectly, not dry at all. I really would go with 1/2 cup milk.


2. I HATE mushrooms. I used green peppers instead, and left out the green onions as well.


3. I used mozzerella cheese instead of swiss, because that is what I had in the house.


4. I threw in a teaspoon of onion powder. Because I felt like it. Ha.


With my changes to the recipe, my quiches are 82 calories each. You can do so much with this recipe - use different kinds of meat, cheese, or veggies to suit your tastes. Just make sure to calculate your calories with your substitutions!


Also, make sure you do what they say, and use a NON-STICK muffin pan that is sprayed really well. I put most of mine in the freezer and just get one out and microwave it in the morning. It takes about a minute (today I did 35 seconds, flipped it over, and did another 25). I have been toasting english muffins and sandwiching a quiche in the middle for a quick breakfast sandwhich. Today I also spread a wedge of Laughing Cow Light French Onion flavor on the muffin as well. Holy cow, it was the most delicious breakfast sandwich of my life!!!

Are these something you would make? What would you put in them?

6 comments:

  1. ADORABLE. And delicious looking. I hate mushrooms, too. So your subs sound perfect to me. Does it sound weird to add artichoke hearts? For some reason that sounds like it might taste good. Or it could flop. Sometimes I'm better off if I stick to the recipe. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love quiche so much. Always reminds me of Italy (Rome). Hmmmmmm.

    Now I want. See what you did?!!? lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was seriously considering artichoke hearts too! If you try that, let me know. Or I might just try it myself, haha. They really are cute, aren't they?!? Mine look pretty much just like the one in the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

    God Bless You :-)

    ~Ron

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks incredible. :-)

    http://ficklecattle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. A friend and I recently made quiches with poireau (leeks) and champignons (mushrooms). Days later, I'm STILL eating them! Gotta love French food!

    -Barb the French Bean

    ReplyDelete