Thursday, August 19, 2010

A new challenge, and Grays Peak pictures!

Let's start with the pictures! Here is a picture I took at the very start of the hike. You have to get over a bridge and turn a corner before you can see these guys, but really, we hadn't gone far at all before we could see them. The peak on the left is Grays, and the peak on the right is Torreys. Yes, they are just as far away as they look. From where this pictures was taken, it's just under 4 miles to the top of Grays.

This little guy is a Pika. They are super cute. They are kind of like real, live, squeaky toys. They squeak all the time, and I took it as a personal challenge whenever I heard a squeak to look around to see if I could find the Pika. I found this one!

And also this one, with the crazy eyes. I don't know if you can really see it in this picture, but he was collecting food or grass or something.

Okay, okay, back to mountains. I was fairly high up when I took this one. Just a lovely picture of the valley below!

Cool looking rock formation.

The view from the summit! Pictures will never do it justice. As soon as I got to the top, I nearly started crying. It was just so incredibly stunning. I have never seen anything quite as beautiful.

More valley! If you look closely, you can see the path... it's the tiny white line snaking about the middle of the picture, then you can follow it along the right side of the little hill there.


Here is a picture of Torreys peak from the summit of Grays. I did not have the chance to go over there, but I'll get it next time!

A nice man agreed to take a picture of me at the summit! I am exhausted and windblown, but I have to say... I've never felt as strong as I did when this picture was taken.


Now onto the challenge part of the post. Lindsay of Prior Fat Girl fame was challenged by one of her readers, and she extended that challenge out to the rest of us. And I think it is a great idea to jump into! I'm in the process of getting back on track, and feeling pretty good about it, but who can't use a great challenge? And this will be a challenge. Here are the rules that Lindsay is going by, with my tweaks and specifications in bold.

1. On Day 1, weigh in, take measurements, and then put away the scale and the measuring tape for one month. So the challenge is going August 20-September 20.

2. Stay within your calories 6 days a week. My calorie goal is between 1500 and 1700 per day.

3. Drink only water. (No diet soda.) I am all for giving up the soda, but I am allowing orange juice and skim milk in addition to water. Water will be, however, probably 90-95% of what I drink.

4. Work out 4-5 days a week.

5. At the end of the month (September 20) weigh and measure again.

So there it is! I will be checking in tomorrow morning with my weight (it's gonna be ugly, folks, be prepared!) and measurements. I'm getting really excited for this challenge. I am so, so ready to be back on track.

Goodnight, my friends! Sweet dreams of mountains and pikas to you all!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Kaitlin. I just your post on Lindsay's blog. I am doing the challenge too. We can support each other. I look forward to the next month and the changes it will bring. BEst of luck to you, you're going to rock this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only just found your blog today. I am going to participate in the challenge, even though I don't have a blog. Will check in with you from time to time.
    Kudos for stepping up to the plate and thanks for motivating me!

    ReplyDelete