Thursday, March 4, 2010

Mexican Pasta Vegetable Bake

Ingredients:

3 cups rotini pasta, uncooked
2 jars (16 oz. each) thick and chunky salsa
2 cups Kraft 2% Milk Reduced Fat Sharp Cheddar Cheese, divided
1 cup nonfat cottage cheese
1 can (16 oz.) black beans, rinsed, drained
1 pkg. (10 oz.) frozen whole kernel corn, thawed, drained
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Directions:


Cook rotini as directed on package; drain. Combine rotini, salsa, 1 cup of the cheddar cheese, cottage cheese, beans and corn. Spoon into 13×9- inch baking pan sprayed with no stick cooking spray; sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheddar cheese. Bake at 375°F for 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Sprinkle with cilantro.

I got this recipe here.

I made this exactly as is, except for the cilantro. It didn't really need it. (Actually I forgot it when I was shopping, haha.) Oh wait, I lied. I did add half a teaspoon of cumin. This was a delicious casserole. The best thing is that this makes 8 servings, and each serving is 300 calories. 1/8 of a 9x13 casserole dish is pretty big! So there is lots of food for not too many calories. We also had asparagus. I simmered it for probably 7 or 8 minutes, drained it, put a little olive oil on it, along with some black pepper and parmesan cheese. DELISH!

In other cooking news, I made my first omelette this morning. I did a pretty good job, too, I was so proud of myself! Omelettes may be on the menu more often now that I know what I'm doing. =)

4 comments:

  1. wow, that sounds delicious! salsa, cheddar, corn- count me in!!!

    and yay for omelettes! i "don't like eggs," but i love omelettes!?? there are so many different ways to eat them- and i've found nothing as filling for so few calories. tomorrow i'm thinking of doing one with canadian bacon and green pepper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! This sounds so good, I can't wait to try it. I tried your chicken salad last week and it was a hit. Thanks for the new ideas...keep them coming. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so good, I love Mexican food! Thank you so much for the recipe and very inspiring blog xx

    ReplyDelete