Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Lent.

First, I must say that I am a little disappointed that Lent starts tomorrow and my church is doing a combined service with another church, and it starts at 6. I get off work at 6, so even if I tried to go, I would be getting there about the time the service would end. BOO!

Anyway, I wanted to do a post about what I am going to be doing for Lent.

What I am adding: A time for meditation/prayer/quiet. It is rare that I am not doing something all the time. I am always distracted - watching TV, reading, cooking, cleaning (haha, I do need to do more of that, though...), blogging. I am not very good at just being quiet and listening. So I am adding in at least 5-10 minutes a day to just be silent and focus on listening to what God is trying to tell me. I think night time will be a good time to do this, so that I can also process my day and prepare myself for sleep.

What I'm losing: Junk food. Yes. Even though I write a weight loss/exercise blog, and I would like to think I have been fairly successful so far, I still eat junk food. Not in insane amounts anymore, thank goodness. But enough. A little bite here. A chip or two there. A piece of cake for someone's birthday. I am able to justify a lot of food to myself, even while reminding myself that it won't be so great on Friday morning if I am eating all this junk. I am confusing like that. So now is an ideal time to cut it out. I will have an extra reason. No more chips, candy, cookies, cake, brownies, frosted mini wheats, fudgesicles, whatever. Carter, I might need your help with this one, haha.

I think 40 days without this stuff will be great for my weigh ins, and I think it will also make me a lot stronger. So there it is! My plan for Lent. I'm excited for tomorrow and to start this new challenge.


5 comments:

  1. The Lenten season is my favorite season of the year. I'm giving up breads....all kinds...chips, tortillas, buns, crackers. I've not thought about "adding" something. You have given me something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't given up anything for Lent since I was a child, but I do have fond memories of giving up chocolate (my favorite!) every year during my elementary school years. Lent is a great time to give up junk because you have that built in excuse when someone tries to tempt you with junk food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i wish you much reflection and success during lent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. we could celebrate easter with a mani pedi if you stay true to no junk! (i did bite one nail yesterday ... repainted them this am so it wont happen again)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great plans for Lent. We could all use a little quiet time to reflect. It's good for the soul.

    ReplyDelete