Sunday, January 24, 2010

Reader request

I realize that I don't really talk about food nearly as much as I do exercise these days. For the moment, I am not officially counting calories, but I do try to keep a rough total going in my mind each day. Mostly I'm just trying to eat healthier, eat less, and exercise lots.

I have received a request from a reader to post some on what I do about cravings. So here goes. I have several strategies, some of which obviously work better than others.

Strategy 1: EAT whatever food it is that I am craving. This is okay if I am craving a red pear. (I had like 4 this week, SO GOOD.) This is not okay if I am craving cookies. Because then I will want to eat like 8 at a time. My housemate Caroline made delicious cookies this week. I know this because I have eaten 5 of them. This did not work out so well for me this week. However, I certainly did not eat all 5 at one time. Whew.

Strategy 2: Eat something similar to what I want but that is lower in calories. If I have a craving for pizza, I get Lean Pocket pizzas and have one. These are much better for killing cravings than Lean Cuisine. Lean Cuisine pizzas suck compared to Lean Pockets. Sometimes I crave chocolate. Let's face it, who doesn't? I have been mostly good about this. I have one of two things: A fudgesicle, or hot cocoa. I have 40 calorie fudgesicles and one serving of the cocoa I use is 80 calories. Two great options for chocolate that are both under 100 calories. If it is just something sweet in general that I am craving, I have been loving the sugar free Jello pudding cups. I don't usually crave salty things, but when I do rice cakes are good, or a few Triscuts with hummus.

Strategy 3: Do something else until the craving goes away. I am still working on this one. I'm not very good, I would usually rather eat the food. Obviously. But I am working on it. You could take a walk, or read a book, or look up healthy recipes online to make for dinner. You could play Boggle with your housemates or family. You could journal or create a piece of art. You could listen to songs that inspire you and give you hope. Here is one called Fight Another Day from my newest favorite artist, Brandon Heath:


I am in no way perfect when it comes to food. Sometimes I have Frosted Mini Wheats for breakfast. Sometimes I go to Einstein's for lunch. Sometimes I don't eat any vegetables all day. Sometimes I eat 5 cookies.

But the majority of the time... I'm doing okay. I know I'm not perfect, and I can never expect to be. In any aspect of my life. Isn't that a relief? I am doing the best I can, every day. And it seems to be working. For now anyway.

I hope this was a helpful post. What do you do to address your cravings? Let me know, I can always use new ideas!!!

Oh! And if you ever want to ask me something, or think of something you would like me to write about, feel free to ask. You can also always email me at everydaygrace.blog@gmail.com.

2 comments:

  1. I love it! I do the exact same thing and it is definitely working. Not depriving myself of anything I crave makes me feel less like I am on a diet and more like this is a life change. Well said!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. progress is perfection. that's my motto! =)

    ReplyDelete