Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Celebration and an Executive Decision

Yesterday marked a very important anniversary, and I didn't blog about it, so I am going to today. One year ago, on January 4th, 2009, I gave up caffeine and soda. It was one of the hardest things I have ever done, and it took about two months before I wasn't craving it all the time.

Looking back, I have not been perfect. It is true that I have not had any soda, though. Sometimes I would stand in front of the fridge at work for five or ten minutes at a time, debating with myself whether or not I should have a Diet Coke, but every single time, I decided not to. Wow, am I proud of that one year later.

I have had caffeine a couple times. The first time, I didn't mean to, and just forgot to say decaf when I was at Starbucks. The other time, a parent of one of the kids I work with brought us coffee and I knew there was caffeine, but drank one anyway. I did learn from these events. I learned that I really don't like or need the caffeine anymore. It made me completely wired both times, and I didn't really like how I felt. A year ago, that much caffeine would have been nothing to my body. Now, it makes me feel jittery and overexcited. I don't really need that in my life.

In the end, I am completely happy with my decision to give these things up. I probably won't have any more soda. The cravings for it still surface from time to time, but I hate to break a streak. Caffeine is a little harder to avoid, but I don't think I will have a problem there either. Most of my favorite drinks can be made decaf, and if I ever decide I want a chai tea latte, I will have it first thing in the morning so that I know I will be able to sleep at night. It's just not an important part of my life anymore, and I couldn't be more happy about that.

Lastly, executive decision time. I have been pretty much plateaued for over a month now, and it is really frustrating. I just started reading the Beck Diet Solution book and I am really getting into it. I think it will help me a lot, along with a couple other books that I have in my reading list. I am committing to doing the activities and exercises in this book.

But I think I need to take a couple weeks off from the scale. I am going to do two Fridays without a weigh in. I am just feeling a lot of internal pressure to weigh a certain amount, and I hate to be obsessed with it. So I am taking a break from weighing in. I am not taking a break from trying to eat healthy. I am still on a break from working out, which I HATE, but I am sick. I know that is a terrible excuse, considering that it is just a cold, but I just hurt all over and have zero energy. As soon as I feel even remotely better, do not fear, I will be hitting the gym oh so hard. (And I cannot wait for that day.)

So that is my life these days. Oh, and I thought of another New Year's Resolution: FINISH A BOOK!!!! I have started so many stories, and I have not finished one yet. I need to crack down on myself and start writing every day. Even if it is only one paragraph.

4 comments:

  1. Wow a year with no soda or Caffeine! I don't think I could do it. I have at least 2 cups of coffee in the morning before I do anything else. And I know how frustrating those plateaus can be, I think a break from the scale is an excellent idea.

    Best of Luck!
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! You are a stronger woman than me!! I have tried to quit pop for years. I went from Coke to diet to back again...then I would drink ginger ale...then back to coke and so on...I only allow myslef 1 of these a day, but I still want to kick it one day. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome job on giving up soda & caffeine! Congrats big time, girl!

    Aw, I will miss your weigh ins! I need to try that book, too, even if its only just to have something to read!

    Ill miss your weigh ins but thats ok, now maybe Ill have time to catch up. Boy, that doesnt make sense, does it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job giving up soda. I had given it up for three years but then I moved to Honduras. Due to the danger of drinking the water I started drinking soda again. In the end soda beats dysentery.

    ReplyDelete