Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Holiday treats: Making them healthier.

Tomorrow is our work potluck. I'm very excited, on account of the fact that I am in love with potlucks. It's always a surprise!

I signed up to bring an appetizer, and decided to do 1-2-3s. If you have never heard of them, you are missing out. The version I have always made in the past has:

1 lb. pork sausage (spicy, sweet, whatever you prefer)
2 cups cheddar cheese
3 cups Bisquick

Tonight though, I tried to make them better. I used:

1.22 lbs. lean turkey sausage (This is just the size that Jennie-O packages, and I figured I would just use it all anyway.)
2 cups 2% reduced fat cheddar cheese
3 cups Heart Healthy Bisquick

Basically what you do is mush everything up together, and once you get all the cheese and Bisquick worked into the sausage, you make little balls, put them on a greased cookie sheet, and bake them for about 15-20 minutes. I made mine kind of small, so they only took about 15 minutes. I got 91 balls out of my ingredients. Then I did some math, and figured out that each ball has about 30 calories. That's not bad for a tasty holiday splurge!

These are one of my absolute favorite hor d'ourves, and I'm pumped that I was able to make them a little bit healthier. They taste delicious, too. (Hey, I had to poison test them, right!?!) Anyway, I'm excited to see how they go over tomorrow at the potluck.

Today was super long because I had a three hour class after work, and then of course I have spent the last hour baking. And tomorrow I am going to work early at 8:30, and will be working out afterwards. So I think it is time for me to say goodnight.

What holiday treats do you enjoy? Have you tried to make them healthier? (Is there even a way to make them healthier?) Let me know if you have any great recipes!!!

2 comments:

  1. one of my fav holiday dishes is raclette and fondue. Both cheese/meat dishes with no healthy alternative I know of. So good thing I'm not in Europe sampling it all right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Over in Ohio, they are called buckeyes. Peanut butter balls dipped into melted chocolate. OMG, its heaven!

    Get some rest, girlie! Youre doing so well!

    ReplyDelete