Thursday, November 26, 2009

trying to be thankful

It's a hard thing to do when you wake up Thanksgiving morning and find out you have been denied health insurance. My next step is to see if I can get on the insurance plan where I work. I have been there for 90 days, so I am eligible. It is also hard when you are having an off week. But here goes (in no particular order):

-I am thankful that Kate and Holly will be here for dinner tonight, and that we have festivities planned. They are having salmon, I am having steak. We will also have peas, rolls, mashed potatoes, and a sweet potato/lentil dish that Holly is bringing. For dessert we are baking apples. Lastly, nothing rounds out a good Thanksgiving dinner like a Zac Efron movie. (17 Again.)

-I am thankful for bad weeks. Because now I know just how great the good weeks are, and that it is totally okay to enjoy them as much as I have been. I know this is a long journey, and in the end, the bad weeks aren't going to define it. They are just something to learn from and get through as best you can.

-I am thankful for supportive friends, and for running. I am running another half marathon next year and I won't be doing it alone. Even if I come in dead last, knowing I have the support and strength of my friends to get me through is amazing.

-I am thankful for my family, especially my mom. I don't think there is anything more I can say about this one. They have helped me out time and time again, and I simply could not do this without their support.

-I am thankful for Trick, my hamster. Yes, he tries to bite me a lot. But he also entertains me with his antics, and that is a huge stress reliever. Also, he is really cute.

-I am thankful for the writers of all the blogs I follow, and everyone who leaves me comments. Seriously, I started crying yesterday reading all the comments on my blog that I wrote when everything felt like it was going wrong. Thank you for your kindness, your support, and your advice. You all are wonderful, and you are all such a help in this lifelong process. I love reading your entries every single day, even though I don't always comment... I want to do more of that. =)

And that's it for today. I have to clean the kitchen/dining room/living room before starting to get stuff ready for dinner. Luckily we are fairly neat and this job includes throwing away junk mail, sweeping the floors, loading the dishwasher, and mopping. Won't take too long at all, especially with some good tunes. I was planning on going out to Walmart at 4 AM tomorrow because I wanted a $9 copy of Star Trek. However, a friend pointed out that I can get it on Amazon for the same price. Even if shipping is a little extra, it's probably worth it to not get out of bed in the middle of the night and drive 10 miles. Oh, and I won't risk getting trampled.

So, my friends, Happy Thanksgiving, and if you are going out tomorrow morning, please be safe! (And have fun!)

2 comments:

  1. :) You rock and wait to see what we'll be thankful for next year!! ;) Enjoy ur night and 17 again is a lovely movie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The couple of extra bucks for the DVD will be a small price to pay to not get trampled by the mindless stampede at Wal-Mart.

    Take care, Kaitlin.

    ReplyDelete